Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Saying Goodbye to Bishop

Last Christmas, my husband’s Uncle Charles sent me a book titled “Marley and Me” about a family dog who was an ill behaved, but much-beloved Labrador Retriever. As a dog lover, I read the book quickly, until the final chapters. It covered the wonderful escapades of a dog who won the hearts of his owners as they learned how to cope with his often “bad” behavior and as they added three children to their family. Marley was their family, their friend, and he had a good, long life, but…. As I read on, I could see the handwriting on the wall. This dog book would end with Marley dying, so I avoided reading the ending for awhile because I knew it would be a big boo-hoo for you-know-who. Still, I loved the book because, as a dog person, I will always have a dog, no matter how hard it is eventually to say good-bye.

Most of you know that one of my loves is a big yellow Golden Retriever named “Bishop” –named for United Methodist Bishop Ken Hicks. Over eight years, Bishop has been my “big buddy” and truly the smartest, most beautiful and loving dog I’ve ever known. When I write my sermons, our “Bishie” is under my desk. When I go to bed, Bishop is under the night stand. When I shower, he lays by the glass door. When I leave to go to work, Bishop’s head is stuck through the fence, waiting for me to come back home. When I grab a leash, Bishop is there grabbing the other end. He is always there. During the last few weeks of pregnancy, he was always near, those big brown eyes reassuring me “this too will pass.” I had begun to talk to him seriously about the new baby and to tell him how he would have to help me train the newest member of our family pack. After all, he did a great job training our youngest dog Dottie.

As I write this article, our baby boy Penn is almost one month old and thriving. Last weight check at the pediatrician he was over 11 pounds, and I think I’m getting carpal tunnel in my hands from holding him. Slowly, we’re establishing some routines of sleeping, eating and diaper changing with some play time and bath time in there too. We hardly know what life was like before Penn arrived, except that our dogs remind us--that steady consistency of affection and companionship that makes even the greatest changes in life—like a newborn—more durable at 3 a.m.

Our family lost some of that constancy this week. When I came back from the hospital, Bishop had lost more weight, more than his normal summer shedding, and it became clear to our vets that he had more than some back problems. He had a fast-growing cancer in his chest that after two weeks didn’t respond to chemo, filling his lungs. Yesterday my sister came and watched the baby, and Victor and I headed off to say good-bye to Bishop. We held him to the very end. It was really hard, but then he had always held on to me when I was hurting or times were tough. It was an honor.

Dear Friends, life and loving relationships are gifts of the Creator to be held and treasured. Life goes by so quickly, and we are most often so worried about the little things in life, the tedious things that don’t really matter. Bishop was named for one of my favorite Christians, one who observed once that “God spelled backwards is ‘dog.’” Bishop was a great source of grace, letting me be me, warts and all. Although I wish with all my heart that my big yellow dog was here to ease my new parent anxieties, he taught me much about love, acceptance and humor. May I pass those Christian qualities—yes, humor is a Christian attribute!--to my new son.


Love and peace,

Rev. Betsy

7 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Bets and Vic, I'm so very sorry! I loved Bishop and always enjoyed seeing that big ol' hairy boy. I know how hard it is to let them go, but the sweet memories we have to hold onto forever helps.
Much love and hugs

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Betsy, Victor, and Penn, our hearts ache for your loss of our good friend Bishop. Meagan and I are so glad we got to see him one last time, Friday night. We loved Bishop and will miss him so much. I think of the good life he had and can't help but laugh and cry, he was the best ever. Our Bishie will forever be in our thoughts, and don't you know he was glad to see Riley, I can see a tail waggin reunion between the two. Bishie gave his heart to all and he knew love beyond any limits. I have the picture of you and him from the cover of Health and Living in my office, now it means more than ever. I can't imagine the pain your going through right now and please know we are here for all of you. Love you guys with all our hearts and souls.Bishop may you REST IN PEACE!!!
Your friends, Linda, Amanda,Meagan, and Chloe

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Everette said...

It was a rude awakening when L. and I lost her dog and my cat, from our single lives, ten years into what became 'us." Benji and Sam respected each other's space immediately, and their transitions to sharing their new moms was smooth.

While we each understood the complexities of our bonds, it shook me up quite literally when Sam passed. I guess I thought was somehow immune to mourning a pet. The one blessing for both our 'children' were their sudden endings -- there wasn't a lengthy pain period.

Funny thing about "Marley and Me." Mother's best friend gave her that book decades ago, as tribute to her and her constant companion mutt of a poodle, Pete. Pete most certainly nourished Mother's soul, for nearly a decade and a half.

Blessings to you and yours.

Melody Berning aka everette

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss. Just remember that little Penn has a guardian angel watching over him.
Take care,
Mere, Jess, & Sydney

 
At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so very hard to lose a pet, especially one that was so close to being human. We all loved Bishop and I'll never forget his visits to Quapaw. Our hearts go out to you and Victor.

Scripture is silent on this, but if there aren't dogs in heaven, then how could it be heaven? Bishop is not gone, he's simply moved on to where the beds are always soft, the treats never stop coming, and the squirrels can't climb trees.

That is little comfort, I know, but try and be glad that you enjoyed his faithful love for at least a little while. Who knows? Maybe the big guy will be back when Penn gets his first dog.

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Subject: FW: WHY HUMANS LIVE LONGER THAN DOGS

WHY HUMANS LIVE LONGER THAN DOGS

A veterinarian was called to examine a ten-year- old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why." Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply, Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God.

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was strange for Lisa and I when we learned that Bishop had passed as we just lost "Stanley", Lisa's Boston Terrier, shortly before. Even tho we knew it was coming (tumor), it was horridly devastating. We were just over the initial sadness when it was totally renewed with your loss. We share your sadness and hopefully Bishop and Stanley have become friends above. Sandy and Lisa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home